During this “Reflections” event at Hodel’s, Craig Francis Harrison discusses why resilience is important and how to become more resilient.
By popular request, we have included Craig’s presenter notes below.
Craig’s Personal Story
I was born in a manger, great family, great life, felt Christ call me to follow HIM.
Enjoyed many years of Ministry in the church
God had other plans (did not consult me about His changes in my life)
I am now a Transition Therapist – my new title
I help people transition in this life-grief, divorce, fear, loss of job, COVID
We all need to survive but survive with JOY
In the end, when I look back I survived, I am resilient, and only because God took me by the hand and fed me with HIS word.
My resilience I have come to believe did not come from me being strong, but from God who dwells in me showing me strength.
Definitions of Resilience
The process of adapting well in the face of adversity, trauma, tragedy threats or significant loss.
The process of “bouncing back” after a challenge -elasticity.
“It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.”
“Tough times never last, but tough people do.”
“You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice”
“Scars remind us where we’ve been. They don’t dictate where we’re going”
A flood once washed away a poor man’s home and mill, taking with it everything he owned in the world. He stood at the scene of this great loss, broken-hearted and discouraged. Yet after the waters had subsided, he saw something shining in the riverbanks that the flood had washed bare. “It looks like gold,” he said. And it was gold. The storm that had impoverished him made him rich. So it is often-times in life.Henry Clay Trumbull
God never uses anyone to a great degree until he breaks the person completely.
Are you broken, are you stuck? I am here to remind you tonight that 1) you are not alone and 2) Our Lord is the answer.
It takes sorrow to expand and deepen the soul.
Blessed is sorrow, for it reveals God’s comfort.The Heavenly Life – James Allen
These are some of the Scriptures that helped me.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.Joshua 1:9
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.Isaiah 41:10
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.Phillippians 4:13
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.John 16:33
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.James 1:12
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.Romans 12:12
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.Romans 8:18
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.James 1:2-4
And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.1 Peter 5:10
For nothing will be impossible with God.Luke 1:37
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.Jeremiah 29:11
1. Finances – many face financial disaster, caused by poor choices, covid, turn in the economy, etc. Solutions – credit counselor, Dave Ramsey methods, and of course, budget, budget, budget.
2. Letting Go – Stronger – Detoxing Marie Kondo
3. When we are stuck and see no place to go. No way to make a decision – Always have three choices. Stay, go, go later. Yes, No, gather more information before a decision.
Craig – last three years – all my strength came from Jesus HIS WORD and the people he brought to me the “Simon”s
- First the shock
- the darkness
- the abandonment
- the attacks
- the fear
- the loneliness-no where else to turn
- the inner strength he gave me through his word
“Don’t let life Live You!” You must live life
- the light shined through
- it was and is a blessing
- I am a better man
- I am a better Christian
- I have survived. I am resilient.
4. Mindfulness, meditation, Adoration, bible study, church, reading, journaling Yoga, Tai Chi
Dan Siegel UCLA – these techniques help develop neuro-plasticity of the brain. Put simply, then can create resilience in the brain and recovery of “systems” that have been damaged due to stress or trauma. Neuro-plasticity is the brain’s resilience. These are not anti-CHRISTIAN.
5. Teach your children resilience…don’t do everything for them. Parents and children. Teens and young adults– “I’m sure you’ll figure it out” Give them the “Dignity of their own pain.” Install self-esteem and resilience – believe in them.
6. Magic phrase to install resilience and self-esteem in all those in our home and in our world. You figured it out.
“Aren’t you proud of yourself for …
7. The purpose of resilience is to “bounce back”, NOT learn how to take more and more abuse. To move ahead and transition. That’s like using Bondo to fix a car that’s been in a head-on crash.
Past has taught us necessary lessons. We can learn and grow stronger …we can learn strong insights about who we are and what we want and what we need…Jesus! We are not alone and can not do it alone…God brings us all we need to walk through the fiery furnace.
Video produced by Bob West Video